I recently started a project 10 pan. If you don't know what that is, you basically choose 10 makeup/beauty products to use up entirely. I love watching make up videos on YouTube, which is where I first heard about this and decided to give it a try.
This woman has used up almost her entire Naked palette. She is my hero:
Why would you want to do this? Here are my reasons:
1- When I have something fancy that I really like, I tend to not want to use it a lot, because I am saving it...but for what? If I spent so much on this make up item, then I should actually get my money's worth and USE IT.
2- Once you start doing this, you realize HOW DAMN LONG it actually takes to use something up. This has already had an effect on my makeup buying habits. I've found myself really thinking before I buy something and therefore, I've come home with a lot less random makeup that I don't really need.
Here are the products I chose and why:
1. Bare Minerals Original Foundation- This is my oldest foundation and I just wanted to use it up.
2. Benefit They're Real mascara sample- I got this one in a set, and then got another in my Glossybox and third in a set I bought from Sephora.
3. L'Oreal Magic Nude Foundation- This is one of the first foundations I bought when I really got into makeup about a year ago. I liked it at first, but now I'm kind of meh about it.
4. Too Faced Perfect Eyes Eyeliner in black (deluxe sample)- I HAVE SO MUCH BLACK EYELINER.
5. Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Smoke (deluxe sample)- I got this as a sample with my Naked palette. I didn't realize you could sharpen it (I feel so stupid admitting this), so when I wore it down, I bought a full sized one.
6. Benefit Hoola bronzer deluxe sample- I got this in a Benefit set I bought from a vending machine in the airport (which I bought mostly because it was exciting to buy fancy makeup from a cute pink vending machine in an airport).
7. The Balm cream blush in Cider (from the How Bout Them Apples? palette)- This is the first thing I've ever hit pan on! It's a gorgeous pinky peachy color.
8. Lipstick Queen Saint Pinky Nude- I've never used up a lip product and this one is easy to wear every day. I got it in a set with their Medieval shade on sale for $20.
9. elf High Definition powder- I have like 3 or 4 different powders which is pretty unnecessary, so I randomly chose this one to work on.
10. Maybelline Color Tattoo in Creamy Beige- I liked this so much when I first got it, I went out and bought a back up, so I already have another one in my drawer for when this one is done. I wear this all over my lid on minimal make up days.
11. Too Faced Bulletproof Brows in Universal Taupe- Yeah, I picked 11 things. I actually didn't realize there were two shades of this product when I got it. This shade works fine, but I ended up buying the Brunette on when it was 50% at Ulta recently and like that one a lot better, especially when I dye my hair darker. So I'm basically forcing myself to use this one up before moving on to the other one, because otherwise I'd just use the dark one and this one would dry out and die.
I've been doing this for a month so far and it's going well. I've made a lot of progress and get really excited when I hit pan and see that hole getting bigger and bigger. I've definitely been spending less on makeup. Now when I pick up something, even something cheap at the drugstore, I think about how long it will actually take to use it and usually end up realizing I don't really need it.
Have any of you ever done a project like this? Would you? Have you used up make up items before (I've only used up foundation and eyeliner)?